In fact, it might be the whole damn thing.
10.9 million children under five die in developing countries each year1. Malnutrition and hunger-related diseases cause 60 percent of the deaths. Some look at that and say “How could God allow such a thing.”
I no longer ask that, because I believe God has a plan to prevent those children from dying.
God’s plan is us.
Those of us who live in the US live in a nation that throws away 40% of all the food we purchase, yet on the remaining 60% of the food, one in three of us manages to become obese. So let’s not say there is not enough food.
Despite the abundance of food, some 17 million children in our own country go to bed hungry at night.
Because none of those children know you.
Because if you knew that Darius, who is 7 and lives at 1410 Elm Avenue, Apt #4, was hungry, you would get that kid some food.
But you don’t know Darius- so he goes hungry. And God’s plan is thwarted. Because of us. Because we don’t have time.
Meanwhile, the plans of Apple, Wal-Mart, The Gap, Disney, and Google are rocking along very well. Them, we have time for.
We all sacrifice our lives to one god or another.
1: The State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2007